White Walls And Dirty Minds.
So this is just the most fucked up thing I think that has ever happened to me.
As you may know, I am not a daily Blogger. I do not want to feel obligated to write something just so It can be a daily thing… i,e – I had this sandwich today, it was simply devine! or… Oh, this little skank in front of me at starbucks was wearing Ugg boots AND a velvet fuschia track suit! of course I poured coffee on her and slapped her mother.
Maybe thats the kind of shit you want to read daily…. But perhaps if I spent all my time blogging, I wouldnt be out and about convincing parents to review the return policy on their atrocious offspring. I can assure you however that when I do sit down and dedicate time to writing, you best believe I got somethin to say.
The topic I am diving into today is about self discovery and the repercussions of opening your eyes and exploring the world.
I have always been quiet, This is no shock to those of you that know me. I have recently decided that I want to learn new things and attempt to be more social… so while at work the other day, I came up with a to do list with my friend Angie laying out the topics in my life Id like to dig deeper into.
Long story short, we decided that I need to pick a country and learn everything I possibly can about it. I listed off a number of countries that I would enjoy learning about (Belgium being my first choice) but just by having interest in them we decided to make a random drawing instead. Angie took a piece of paper and wrote a bunch of countries on them before cutting it all up and crunching them into random balls of paper. I was to pick three, and they would disappear. then pick two more, and they would disappear. until the last two remaining was up to me to pick one, and that one would be taken away.
Exactly. Thus began the churning undercurrent of wierd-ness.
So onward and upward, later that day I found myself at home fooling around on some recordings and checking in and out of facebook and whatever, when I fell upon a comment in a post from my friend Cynthia. (See Below)
<– What the fuck is Post-Djent- Step??
Djent is a heavy metal music subgenre that emerged as a spin-off from progressive metal. Coined by the band Meshuggah, it was popularized through the internet by Periphery, specifically guitarist Misha Mansoor. The word “djent” is an onomatopoeia for a heavily palm-muted, distorted guitar chord. Typically, the word is used to refer to music that makes use of this sound, to the sound itself, or to the scene that revolves around it.
Needless to say, I fucking cannot stand Djent. As I sifted through youtube checking out bands that categorize themselves as “Djent” I became more and more ill. at this point, it was nearly 2 am and I was sufficiently inebriated. Out of nowhere, I saw a video for a band called “Woods Of Ypres”. What caught me right away is that I thought the video clip was a picture of me. Intrigued, I clicked the link.
(Shown below is a picture of David gold, next to a photo of myself taken 3 years ago)
But the problem is, Just having a similar haircut and beard style were not the only strange things about this video clip. To keep things from being drawn out and fear of losing your interest, I will break down the following events numerically.
1. ”Woods of ypres – Buried in Mount Pleasant cemetery” is the name of the first track I heard. it interested me because my grandparents lived in Mount Pleasant.
2. Shortly after falling in love with this band, I found out that David Gold (singer) was killed in a car crash In december 2011, Just before Christmas… coincidentally, my grandma was just killed in a car crash (In Mount Pleasant) in April 2011, Just before Easter.
3. The more I listened to songs I began harmonizing, almost against my will to songs I had never heard before. and at some points, I was able to predict where a song would turn accurately.
4. Now well into the morning ( 4 Am, ish?) I decided to research what the fuck an Ypres was since it was on my to do list to learn new things. Ironically, I found out that Ypres is a municipality, of what country do you ask? Belgium. The very country I was set out to study.
5. The more I looked into Ypres, I learned During the Middle Ages, Ypres was a prosperous Flemish city, renowned for its linen trade with England. I studied fashion design after high school, Focusing primarily on textiles.
6. Also during the middle ages in Ypres, cats (then the symbol of the devil and witchcraft) were thrown off Cloth Hall (one of the largest commercial buildings of the Middle Ages). Sadly, my cat of nearly 10 years was laid to rest shortly before moving into my new house.
7. Finally, But not last… During World War I, due to it being hard to pronounce in English, British troop nicknamed the city “Wipers”. This would make no sense ordinarily, but for the past year the wipers on my truck have been nonexistent, and I am constantly told if I do not fix them, I may die in a car crash.
so there you have it folks.. The most fucked up thing that has ever happened to me (this week) I have blended to two most recent pictures of David and myself to show physical similarities .. Not that I would ever consider myself to be as remotely talented as David, but I do sincerely think that everything happens for a reason. I truly believe he came to me that night in spirit, and used my body to sing one more time.
Rest In peace, David Gold. 1980-2011